Great Decisions will be re-starting our regular meetings in late January 2019. We also have a FACEBOOK group to share relevant articles for discussion. Special thanks to our hostesses at The Overture, who graciously made space for us each week. Stop by and visit to thank them.
Great Decisions – gives you a voice in world affairs. Our Fort Bend 2019 series starts in late January See below the new 2019 topics
or go buy it in January at Brazos Bookstore in Houston http://www.brazosbookstore.com/
Join the Foreign Policy Process
Local Great Decisions groups meet to share ideas and opinions. All program participants are invited to register their views on the Great Decisions opinion ballot, which is presented to U.S. leaders and major media. Ballots are still available at the 2017 links below.
2019 Topics: (see article authors and briefs)
- Refugees and Global Migration
- The Middle East: Regional Disorder
- Nuclear negotiations: Back to the Future?
- The Rise of Populism in Europe
- Decoding U.S.-China Trade
- Cyber Conflicts and Geopolitics
- The United States and Mexico: Partnership Tested
- State of the State Department and Diplomacy
See you in January 2019!
Many thanks to Enid Tovy who organized this interesting group for 30+ years, now facilitated by Bill Johnson. No expertise, only interest (and preparation), is required. For more information contact: Bill Johnson.
Early each spring, AAUW offers Great Decisions to:
- Explore the Issues
The Great Decisions program highlights each of today’s most significant, far-reaching foreign policy issues. In compelling presentations, Great Decisions provides facts and nonpartisan analysis of the “great decisions” facing the U.S. public and policymakers.
- Learn about Foreign Policy
The Great Decisions program is a unique learning experience. You will acquire skills to assess global developments and policymakers’ decisions. You will help build the American democracy’s strong citizen base.
2018 Topics: (see article authors and briefs)
- The waning of Pax Americana?
- Russia’s foreign policy
- China and America: the new geopolitical equation
- Media and foreign policy
- Turkey: a partner in crisis
- U.S. global engagement and the military
- South Africa’s fragile democracy
- Global health: progress and challenges
- The Future of Europe – Coping With Crisis
- Trade, Jobs and Politics
- Conflict in the South China Sea
- Saudi Arabia in Transition
- U.S. Foreign Policy and Petroleum
- Latin America’s Political Pendulum
- Prospects for Afghanistan and Pakistan
- Nuclear Security: The Enduring Challenge of Nuclear Weapons
- Continuity & Change in American Foreign Policy and BONUS Discussion: Civilization (the opening editorial letter)
Great Decisions 2016 topics:
- Middle East
- The Rise of ISIS
- The Future of Kurdistan
- The Koreas
- The United Nations
- Climate Change
- Cuba and the U.S.
- Russia and the Near Abroad
- Privacy in the Digital Age
- Sectarianism in the Middle East
- India Changes Course
- U.S. Policy Toward Africa
- Syria’s Refugee Crisis
- Human Trafficking in the 21st Century
- Brazil’s Metamorphosis